Tips to improve your communication skills
1. The best way to become fluent in English is to listen, speak, read and write in English as much as possible. Listen a little.Speak a little.Read a little.Write a little. Then, listen a little more.Speak a little more.Read a little more.Write a little more. Do this, till it becomes a habit.
2. Keep a notebook of new words, you learn every day. Use them in sentences, while conversing with people.
3. Don’t translate into English from your own language. Think in English to improve your fluency.
4. Mind your punctuation as it can totally change the meaning of the sentence. Check out the difference in meaning between these two sentences: “A woman without her man is nothing” and “A woman: without her, man is nothing”.
5. If you can speak to someone in English, like a native English speaker or someone already good at speaking English, then this would be the best way to become fluent in this language.
6. Watch English movies, pay attention to the new vocabulary and their pronunciation.
7.Take a few minutes out of your day to stand in front of the mirror and speak. Choose a topic, set a timer for 2 or 3 minutes and just speak.
8.Speak without pauses. The more you stop, the less confident you sound and the less comfortable you become.
9.Speak slowly and clearly.
10.Listen to a show, friend, conversation and reproduce what you heard.
11.Record your voice and listen to your pronunciation and intonation. It will help you to identify your problem areas.
12.Stay positive! Sometimes you will feel that you aren’t learning quickly enough. Don’t worry about it. You’ll get there in the end.
13.Enjoy this period of learning English. We learn more when we are having fun!!
14.Stay calm. We speak better when we are relaxed.
15.Take a second to think about what you’re going to say. You know the grammar, but maybe you don’t use it correctly when you speak.
16.Review! Review! Review! Make sure that you take the time to review things you have studied in the past.